Government Grants

Better Energy Homes Scheme

This government scheme gives fixed cash grants and is available to all owners of homes built before 2006. The grants enable homeowners improve the energy efficiency of their home through insulation and heating system upgrades.

Grant Application SEAI

Grants Available

Category Measure  Grant 
Attic Attic  €           300
Wall Wall - Cavity  €           300
  Wall - Internal Dry Lining  
  Apartment (any) OR Mid-terrace House  €        1,200
  Semi-detached OR End of Terrace  €        1,800
  Detached House  €        2,400
  Wall - External  
  Apartment (any) OR Mid-terrace House  €        2,250
  Semi-detached OR End of Terrace  €        3,400
  Detached House  €        4,500
Heating Heating Controls with Boiler (Oil or Gas) Upgrade  €           700
  Heating Controls Upgrade only  €           600
  Solar Heating  €        1,200
Bonus Additional Bonus for 3rd measure  €           300
  Additional Bonus for 4th measure  €           100
Ber BER Assessment on competion of works  €              50


  • Please note that the above works must be carried out by a registered SEAI Contractor.  Find a contractor here.
  • There is a set value on cash grants - 30% of average cost of works.  If expenditure is below this set value then only the actual expenditure will be reimbursed.
  • After grant aided works have been completed, a BER survey must be undertaken.  The homeowner is entitled to BER Funding (see above).  


Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme

The aim of this scheme is to fund energy efficiency improvements in the homes of the elderly and vulnerable which in turn makes living conditions more comfortable, healthier and more cost effective to run. These improvements are undertaken at no cost to the homeowner.

Grant for a Warmer Home

  • The upgrades available are:
  • Attic Insulation
  • Cavity Wall Insulation
  • Lagging Jackets
  • Draught Proofing.
  • Low energy light bulbs. 
  • Energy Advice.


This scheme is available to homes that are owner occupied non local authority homes that were built before 2006.

The owner must also be in receipt of one of the following:

  • Fuel Allowance as part of the National Fuel Scheme
  • Job Seekers Allowance for over six months and with children under 7 years of age
  • Family Income Supplement